Skip to main content

"On Any Given Day" - Zoee D'Costa


Lessons on Leadership – Zoee D’Costa: Give it All You Got

Zoee
Photo courtesy nj.com
Zoee D’Costa is a senior at Montgomery High School and active member of the school community. On February 28, she claimed bronze in the NJSIAA Girls Fencing State Meet. D’Costa is committed to Cornell University. 
Tell me about your leadership experience.
I’m a captain on the girls fencing team. I am an editor of the PawPrint school newspaper and president of the Student Dynamics Council. I’m also involved in a lot of community service out of school and a bunch of community service in school. I’m in the National Honor Society and Interact community service clubs. I’m also a peer leader.
How do you think you’ve been able to work up and reach these positions?
You just have to put a lot of effort in. When I started out high school, it was a little frustrating trying to break in. But if you’re just really yourself, if you make friends, show that you really care, and put a lot of effort in to whatever you want to do, you’re bound to get there.
What’s the biggest thing you’ve learned in high school here at MHS?
Take advantage of all the opportunities you’re given. I’ve been given a lot of opportunities and am really grateful for those opportunities. In this high school there’s always a lot, especially in this community, because we’re given so much. Be thankful and take advantage of it.
What advice would you give to the you of three years ago?
To take advantage of opportunities and make good lasting relationships with people. That’s what’s going to carry you into the future.
What’s your greatest strength?
My enthusiasm. Whatever you want to do, sports or academics, approaching everything with enthusiasm and a good attitude is paramount. The more you put into something the more you get out of it. I try to have enthusiasm in everything I do.
Why do you think it takes to be successful at MHS?
You have to really be passionate and give everything you have to whatever you do. You don’t always get out what you put in, but most of the time it’s worth it.
How do you think you’ve help build a winning culture here at MHS?
I’ve built a good saber (fencing sub-team) squad. This year, next year, and the next couple years the team should do really well. I’ve taught (teammates) what I know and hopefully they’ll be able to carry on winning, even when I am gone. I know it will be a team I will be proud of.
Talk on setbacks and how you overcome them.
In fencing you really can’t learn without doing it a lot and fencing in a lot of tournaments. There’s no way you can win all of them, so from every loss you have to learn. In school, I’ve taken a lot of hard courses and haven’t always done as well as I (thought) I could have.
My dad tells me resilience is the most important thing you can learn. It’s just about getting back up when you fail. You have the choice whether you want to stay down, or get back up.
During my junior year of fencing, I had one of the blades actually go through my glove and into my hand. I got stitches and missed most of the season, so I was having a hard time watching my team without me competing with them. But I just stayed with it and got back up when I was ready.
And you’ve had a great senior season. Last thing: what’s your favorite quote?
“Self doubt could not be found in any textbook, so she knew not what it meant.” It’s from To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. It’s my favorite book, my favorite quote and it’s really inspirational because although everyone knows what self doubt is and inherently feels it, if you don’t accept it, if you dont acknowledge it, and if you’re just inherently confident, you’re bound to be successful.
Advertisements
Report this ad
Report this ad

2 thoughts on “Lessons on Leadership – Zoee D’Costa: Give it All You Got”

  1. Pingback: Lessons on Leadership — Lucy Zhang: Suffer, then Shine | The Monty Sponge
  2. Pingback: How You Can Achieve Massive Success | The Monty Sponge

Leave a Reply

  • WordPress.com Logo
    You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )
    Google+ photo
    You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )
    Twitter picture
    You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )
    Facebook photo
    You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )
    Connecting to %s





    Follow
  • Customize
  • Follow
  • Report this content
  • Manage subscriptions
  • Collapse this bar

    :)

    Comments

    Popular Posts